Vegan Crunchy Aubergine Schnitzel
Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Serves: 2 | Vegan
- 1 Medium Aubergine (½ cm thick – sliced)
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1½ Tsp Curry Powder
- 1½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper / Chilli Powder
- ¼ Cup Plain Flour
- ¼ Cup Cornflour
- ½ Cup Soy Drink / Buttermilk (if not vegan)
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- ½ – 1 Cup Oil (for frying)
1. Wash and slice the Aubergine and lay flat on a plate and season with ½ Tsp Salt, 1½ Tsp Curry powder and 1½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper / Chilli Powder. Then turn it to the other side and season with rest of the Salt and Curry powder and keep aside
2. Heat up ½ – 1 cup oil in a frying pan on medium – high heat
3. Take 3 plates, and mix one plate with ¼ cup plain flour and ¼ cup cornflour. The second plate with ½ cup Soy Drink / Buttermilk and the last plate with ½ cup Breadcrumbs.
4. Take one of the sliced aubergine and first cover the whole aubergine slice with Flour, on both sides. Then dip the flour coated aubergine into the Soy Drink / Buttermilk and ensure the aubergine is completely coated with Soy Drink / Buttermilk. Afterwards coat the wet aubergine slice with breadcrumbs. Lightly dab the breadcrumbs onto the aubergine.
5. Place the coated aubergine into the frying pan and fry on both sides until the breadcrumbs are golden-brown. Repeat the process until all of your slices are fried.