Gujarati style Pawa Batata
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Serves: 5 | Vegan
- 450gr Potato (peeled and chopped in cubes)
- 100gr Pawa (dried Rice flakes)
- 1½ Tsp Oil
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2 medium Cinnamon sticks
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 1 small Dry Chilli
- 1½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 small Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
- 8 Curry Leaves
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1½ Tbsp Fresh Ginger (finely sliced)
- 2 chillies (finely chopped)
- ½ Tsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Paprika (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Fresh Coriander (finely chopped, incl. Stem)
1. Peel and chop the potato in small cubes and wash and drain the Pawa and keep aside.
2. In a non stick pot, on medium heat, add 1½ Tsp Oil and add 3-4 Cloves, 2 medium Cinnamon sticks, 4 Black Peppercorns and 1 small Dry Chilli and cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Then add 1½ Tsp Cumin seeds and cook for another 3-4 minutes and mix through. Add the finely chopped onions and combine and cook until the onions are golden-brown.
4. Afterwards add the 450gr chopped potatoes and 8 Curry Leaves and mix through.
5. Next add ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder and 2 Tsp Salt and combine. Then mix in the 1½ Tbsp Fresh Ginger and 2 chillies
6. Finally add and gently combine 100gr Pawa and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on.
7. Add ½ Tsp Sugar, 2 Tbsp Lemon juice and ¼ cup chopped Paprika and gently mix through and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
8. Finally once done the potatoes should be soft and cooked and garnish with fresh Coriander leaves and enjoy hot.