Channa Batata Chaat
This is very much Indian street food, and is the most addicting savoury snack you can ever taste. My version of Chaat is very simple and easy. Give this a go, it’s like extremely mouthwatering of flavours and taste from India, right in your own Kitchen.
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour | Serves: 4-6 | Vegan
- 5-6 medium potatoes (boiled and peeled)
- 800gr tinned Black Chickpeas (Boiled Kala Channa)
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1½ Tsp Salt
- 250ml Tamarind Sauce + 250ml Water
- 700ml Water
- ½ Cup Fresh Coriander (finely chopped, incl. Stem)
- 1 medium Red Onion (finely chopped)
1. Boil the potatoes with the skin, once all potatoes have been cooked but not completely cooked that they are mushy in texture, peel the skin off and let it cool. Then cut them into small-medium sized cubes. And drain the tinned black chickpeas and keep aside.
2. In a pot, on medium heat, add 3 Tbsp Oil and allow the oil to heat up. Once hot add 2 Tsp Cumin seeds and let it cook and sizzle for 2 minutes.
3. Afterwards add the spices: 1 Tsp Cumin Powder, 1 Tsp Cumin Powder, 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder, 2 Tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 Tsp Chilli Powder and 1 Tsp Salt. Mix this through.
4. Then add the 250ml Tamarind Sauce + 250ml Water and mix through. Finally add 700ml water and gently mix again and cover. Let this cook and boil on medium heat for 1 hour.
5. Once done, garnish with Fresh Coriander and serve with: red onions, green chutney (spicy), salted crisps (chips) and Bombay mix.