Gujarati Kadhi (Spiced Yoghurt Soup)
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Serves: 4 – 6
Spice Level: Medium
- 1kg Natural Yoghurt
- 1l Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp Gram Flour
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 5 Tbsp Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (Paste)
- ½ Tbsp Chili (Paste)
- 5-7 Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Sunflower Oil
- ½ Tsp Ghee
- 3 Small-Medium Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Small Dry Chilli
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Fresh Tomato’s (Finely chopped)
- ¼ Cup Fresh Coriander (Finely chopped, incl. stem)
1. In a medium bowl, add the 1kg Natural Yoghurt, pour 1l of water into the yoghurt pots, and mix the left over yoghurt with the water, so that all the yoghurt is mixed, with the water. Place this into the bowl. Use a whisk to combine the mixture.
2. Then add 2 Tbsp Gram Flour, and combine this until there are no lumps and have a smooth texture. Then add the ¼ cup Lemon Juice, 5 Tbsp Sugar, ¼ Tsp Turmeric and 2 Tsp Salt. Combine the mixture until all the ingredients is mixed in.
3. After add the 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste, ½ Tbsp Chilli Paste and 5-7 Curry Leaves. Mix this all in, until combined and have a smooth yoghurt mixture.
Spicing up the Yoghurt Mixture:
4. In a pot, on medium heat, add 1 Tsp Oil and ½ Tsp Ghee. Once the Oil and Ghee is hot enough, add the 3 small – medium Cinnamon sticks, 4 Cloves and 1 small Dry Chilli. After add the 1 Tsp Mustards seeds and cover and allow the Mustard seeds to crackle (about 3 minutes).
5. Next add the 1½ Tsp Cumin seeds, mix the spices and let it cook for a minute. Add the ½ cup Water and straightaway place the lid on for a few seconds. Then stir this so that it does not stick at the bottom of the pot.
6. Gently add in the Yoghurt mixture into the pot, and with the whisk continuously stir this, until the mixture starts to boil and that the yoghurt mixture does not curdle (about 20-30 minutes on medium heat).
7. Once it starts to boil, let it boil for another 5 minutes, and slightly turn down the temperature of the heat. Then add the ½ cup chopped Tomatoes. Mix this for about 10 minutes.
Serve hot and garnish with Coriander leaves and Enjoy with plain rice, or my One-Pot Vegetbale Rice, or even chapatti.