One pot Vegetable Rice (Gujarati Style)
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Spice Level: Medium Vegan/Gluten Free | Airplane (Crew) Friendly
- 3 (180gr) Medium Potatoes (peeled and finely chopped
- 3 (150gr) Medium Carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 200gr Peas (Frozen or Fresh)
- 150 gr Sweetcorn
- 1 Red Pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 450gr Basmati Rice (washed and rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 4 Small pieces Cinnamon Stick
- 7 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Dry Chilli (broken in half)
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 1½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (Paste)
- 1½ Tbsp Chilli (Paste) – to your taste of spiciness
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2½ Tsp Salt
- 950ml Warm Water
- ½ Cup Fresh Coriander (Finely chopped, incl. Stem)
1. In a large pot (preferably non-stick), on medium – high heat, add 3 Tbsp Sunflower oil, and let this heat up for a few minutes. Once the oil is hot add the dry spices: 4 small pieces cinnamon Stick, 7 black peppercorns, 1 dry chilli (broken in half) and 4 whole cloves. Let this sizzle for a minute or two and add the 1½ Tsp Cumin Seeds and mix through and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium temperature.
2. Add the mix Vegetables and combine this with the spices, that are already in the pot. So that everything is nicely mixed in.
3. Then add in the 2 Tbsp ginger paste and 1½ Tbsp chilli paste and mix in so that it is all evenly combined.
4. Afterwards add in 1 Tsp turmeric powder, 1 Tsp garam masala, 2½ Tsp Salt and mix this all in until the spices are combined and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Next add in the 450gr (washed and rinsed) basmati rice and combine this with the vegetables and spices. Then add in 950ml warm water and mix in. Ensuring that everything is combined in properly. Cook this for 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes. Gently mix this through so that the rice is not sitting at the bottom of the pot. Cook for another 15 – 20 minutes (or until the vegetables and rice is done).
7. Finally garnish with ½ cup chopped coriander and serve hot.
Enjoy this dish with Gujarati style Kadhi.