Coconut Fish Curry
This fish curry doesn’t have many spices, but the herbs and spices used really makes this dish delightfully flavourful.
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves: 2-3
Spice Level: Medium
- 500gr White Fish (3-4 fillets, without skin)
- ½ fresh lime (juice and zest)
- 2½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger (peeled and finely grated/or paste)
- 5 spring onions (finely sliced and a few for garnishing)
- 3 small-medium garlic cloves (finely minced/or paste)
- 1 fresh red Chilli (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp Thyme leaves
- 400g coconut milk (Tin)
- 100g (about 1 small bag) baby spinach leaves
- ½ Sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh Coriander (finely chopped, incl. stem)
1. Ensuring the fish fillet has no excess water (if using defrosted fish). Season the fish with 1 tbsp curry powder, ½ tsp Turmeric powder, a pinch of salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Squeeze ½ lime juice evenly on to the fish fillets. And keep aside
2. In a large non-stick frying pan or non-stick frying pot, on medium heat, add the 2 tbsp oil. Once hot add, the chopped spring onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add in the 2 tbsp ginger, 3 garlic cloves, chopped chillies and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
3. Then add the last bit of curry powder (1 ½tbsp), turmeric (½ tsp) and 1/4 tsp chilli powder and lime zest, mix that through and add the fresh thyme leaves, cook this for a few minutes.
4. Now add 400ml coconut milk tin, and simmer this for 10 minutes until you have a thick sauce.
5. Finally add your seasoned fish fillets along with 1/3 cup fresh coriander and cook this further on a lower heat for 10 minutes (or until the fish flakes easily)
6. Once your fish is cooked gently stir in the spinach leaves (to keep the fish fillets whole) and cook this for a extra few minutes.
7. Serve immediately and garnish with spring onions
Tip: Looking for a side dish? Then take a look at my Lime and Coriander Brown Rice which compliments the Coconut Fish Curry with Spinach very well!