Cinnamon Apple Roses
Cinnamon, Apples and Pastry! Indulge in a little piece of heaven. So tasty and delicious to have as a dessert!
Preparation time: 25 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes | Vegan & Gluten Free
For 8 roses
- 2 medium Red Apples
- 1 sheet Puff pastry – ready roll (275gr) – Vegan puff pastry, GF puff pastry is also suitable
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 400ml water
- 1½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp All Spice powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam (or any jam)
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Cupcake baking tray + baking spray
1. Preheat oven to 200C on Fan and in a medium pot, put 400 ml water and 1 tsp lemon juice and on medium heat, heat the water and lemon juice. Make sure the water remains hot but not boiled. Spray your cupcake baking tray with baking spray and keep aside.
2. Wash and cut Apple in half and remove the core. Cut in very thin slices – so that the apple slices easily bend. Separate the apples slices from each other and place them in the lemon water pot. Repeat for rest of the uncut apples. Once all your thinly cut apple slices are in the hot lemon water, let it soak for 5 minutes
3. Drain the water and place the apples on a kitchen paper towel to completely dry. You can also pay dry with the paper towel.
4. Using a small sieve, sprinkle evenly the cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, all spice powder and brown sugar if using.
5. Roll out your puff pastry and cut downwards in rectangles (easier with a pizza cutter) in 8 strips about 4 cm thick.
If you have rolled out your pastry a bit thinner and left with more pastry than 8 pieces, that is fine (as you may have left over apples)
6. Using a clean and a spacious top work, sprinkle a small amount of flour. Take one of your strips of pastry and with a brush, brush with some jam. And place the apples along the edge on the jam ensuring that the apples are slightly overlapping.
7. Take the bottom half of the pastry and fold upwards over slightly over the apple slices. This should cover the bottom of the apples and the ‘rainbow shape’ part of the apple sticking upwards of the pastry. Gently pat the pastry on the apples to ensure it is secure.
8. If you placed the apples from the left, then fold from the left. If you started placing your apples from the right, then fold from the right.
9. From the end, roll the pastry inwards, the first roll should be slight tighter, but do not roll the pastry very tight throughout. Otherwise you will have smaller rose shapes. Place your cinnamon apple roses in your cupcake baking tray. And repeat until complete
10. Once complete place your cinnamon apple roses in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Checking every 10 minutes that the apples are not burning, and pastry is baking. (It’s cooked in under 30 minutes or takes slightly longer – that is okay. Every oven is different)
11. After 30 minutes take out your cinnamon apple roses and with a spatula take them out and place on a cooking rack for 5 minutes and dust over with icing sugar.
Enjoy hot with Ice cream, whipped cream or custard.
One thought on “Cinnamon Apple Roses”
They’re so pretty!