Chilli Sin Carne
A vegan version of ‘Chilli Con Carne’? Yes, there is! This is packed with tasty vegetables. I know some recipes use Soya meat, however I wanted to keep it simple with vegetables. Give it a try!
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
Spice level: Medium | Vegan
- 1 large potato or 2 medium potato (peeled and cut into cube chunks
- 3½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 3 garlic cloves (paste/crushed)
- 1 tbsp ginger (paste/crushed)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp concentrated tomato purée
- 3 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powdersp
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chilli powder (to your taste)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 600gr chopped tomato (tin)
- 150ml water
- 1 medium yellow or red pepper
- 400gr kidney beans (tinned)
- 400gr black beans (tinned)
1. Preheat oven to 200C, place the chunks of sweet potato in a large mixing bowl, add 1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 tsp cumin powder, 1½ paprika powder, 1 tsp cayenne pepper and ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Mix it all through so it’s all combined. Place the sweet potato’s in a baking tray and roast for 20-30 minutes (until the potatoes have been cooked)
2. In a medium size non stick pot on medium heat, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil add the 2 chopped onions, 3 garlic cloves (paste or crushed)and 1 tbsp ginger. Allow it to sauté for 3 minutes. And add The finely chopped celery and carrots. Cook this for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
3. Add 2 tbsp tomato purée, and 3 tbsp cumin, 2 tbsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt, 1 ½ tbsp dried oregano, 2 tsp smoked paprika powder, 2 tsp chilli powder and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the 600gr chopped tomatoes from the tin, along with 150ml water, and bring to the boil and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add The chopped pepper chunks, 400gr kidney beans and 400gr black beans. Cook this for another 10 minutes. And finally add the cooked sweet potato, slowly mix this in and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with brown rice, my tasty guacamole or even just a lemon wedge.