Singapore Fried Rice
Left over rice? Then take an attempt on this enjoyable fried rice. With a slight kick, unless you prefer it very spicy, then of course go ahead and add more spice to it. Very simple and full of flavours.
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
Spice level: Medium | Airplane (Crew) friendly
- 2 cups long grain rice (cooked)
- 1 cup spring onions (chopped) and 1/3 cup aside
- 1 tbsp garlic (finely chopped
- 2 medium red chilli (finely chopped)
- 3 large eggs (Optional)
- 1 cup peas
- 1 Paprika (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp chilli powder (to your taste)
- ½ tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- ½ ginger powder
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 whole anise star
- 6 tbsp soya sauce (or as preffered)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
1. Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil, on medium heat in a non stick wok or pot.
2. Add 4 whole cloves and 2 whole anise star and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add 2/3 cup of the chopped spring onions and the 2 chopped red chillies. Mix this in and let it sizzle for 2 minutes then add the 1 tbsp garlic. Allow the flavours to absorb for 3 minutes.
3. On a lower heat Add the spices ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp Turmeric, 1 tsp Garam masala ½ tsp ginger powder, and stir this in.
4. Then add 1 cup peas and 1 whole chopped Paprika, followed by 6 tbsp soya sauce and mix in.
5. Add the 2 cups cooked long grain rice. And mix this thoroughly through and place the lid and let it cook on low heat
If not using the optional egg mixture skip to step 10.
Optional Egg Step:
6. Warm on medium – high heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a non stick frying pan
7. Beat the 3 eggs and add ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp black peppers and 1 tbsp milk.
8. And put all the egg mixture in the pan, and allow it to cook. Once it starts cooking separate/stir the egg so that you get a scrambled egg texture.
9. Mix the scrambled egg into the rice and gently stir in so that the rice does not mash.
10. Finally add the 2 tbsp sesame oil and mix in.
11. Dish out and garnish with the rest of the spring onions. Enjoy!