Honey Glazed Cauliflower
I have to admit I am not the biggest fan of Cauliflower. If I eat Cauliflower, then this is what I love cooking that has Cauliflower in it. But the crispiness of this is amazing, and guess what it’s not even fried!!
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Serves: 4 persons
Spice level: Medium
For the Breaded Cauliflower
- 1 Medium Sized Cauliflower
- 3 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- Cooking oil (spray)
- 2 large eggs
For the Honey-Glazed Sauce
- ½ Cup Honey (fluid honey)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (paste or minced)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp Low sodium Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Siracha sauce / or any hot sauce (to your taste)
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch & 2 tbsp water (mixed together)
For the Breaded Cauliflower:
1. Cut the cauliflower heads in edible sizes, and wash and pat them completely dry. It is easier to do this earlier on and allow it to drain in a sieve.
2. Preheat your oven on 220°C, using a large baking tray, line a baking sheet on the baking tray and spread evenly 2 cups panko breadcrumbs and spray with cooking oil, it doesn’t all have to be covered in oil. Bake the breadcrumbs for about 5-10 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
3. Whilst the breadcrumbs are baking, whisk together the 2 large eggs in a small-medium sized bowl.
4. Once the breadcrumbs have been baked and are nice and brown, put those breadcrumbs in a bowl and add the other 1 cup panko breadcrumbs in another bowl.
5. Dip the cauliflower in the egg mixture and shake a few times so that all the extra egg mixture drips off, this is so that the it does not moisten the breadcrumbs. Then dip the eggy cauliflower in the baked breadcrumbs and then finally dip and cover them in the other 1 cup of breadcrumbs (which is not baked). Place them into the baking sheet. (Ensure that all part of the cauliflower is covered in breadcrumbs).
6. Repeat the process with the rest of the cauliflower heads until they are all covered and place them all on the baking sheet.
7. Bake the breaded cauliflower for about 10-15 minutes, or even until the cauliflower is cooked and the bread crumbs have a golden brown colour.
Whilst the breaded cauliflower is baking, you can already make a start on the honey glazed coating.
8. Once the cauliflower is baked, allow the cauliflower to cool, and place the cauliflower in a medium bowl.
For the Honey glaze coating:
1. Add all the sauce ingredients in a small-medium sized pot on low-medium heat, but NOT the cornstarch and water mix, leave that aside for now. Bring the sauce mixture to a sizzle and stir the sauce a few times.
2. Once it starts sizzling add the cornstarch and water mixture, so that the sauce can thicken and gently stir the sauce, allow the sauce to cook for about 5-8 minutes on a lower heat but also keep stirring the sauce.
3. Drizzle the honey glaze sauce onto the baked cauliflower, and gently stir it all in so that all the cauliflower is coated in the sauce.
4. Sprinkle with spring onions (or sesame seeds) and serve immediately and enjoy.