Urid Lentil Curry
Urid is a black bean lentil, and actually one of my favourite Lentils. This delicious Gujarati style Urid Lentil curry is full of fibres, nutrients and is healthy. With the creamy flavour of yoghurt this tastes delicious and full of flavour.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 1hr 20minutes | Serves: 4
Spice level: Medium | Vegan
- 2 tsp Sunflower oil
- 2 cups Urid (black lentil)
- 1 tbsp Chopped ginger paste
- ½ tsp Chopped chillies paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste (optional)
- ½ sized Cinnamon stick
- 3-4 Whole cloves
- 1 Small dried chilli
- 6-8 Pieces of curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp Whole mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Medium sized chopped tomato Puree (or fresh tomatoes blended in a food
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Garam masala
- ½ tsp Tumeric powder
- 1 tbsp of fresh Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Salt
- 250g Natural yoghurt (or non dairy yoghurt)
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Fresh coriander (chopped)
1. Boil the Urid lentil with ½ tsp salt, until cooked and soft
2. In another pot, heat 2 tsp sunflower oil on medium heat and add ½ sized cinnamon stick, 3-4 whole cloves, 1 small dried chilli, and finally 1 tsp whole mustard seeds. Allow it cook with the lid of the pot on, until mustard seeds have stopped popping (be careful not to overcook, as this process will burn the aroma)
3. One the mustard seeds have stopped popping add 1 tsp whole cumin seeds, this will start to sizzle in the oil. Add 6-8 pieces of curry leaves (if you have). Mix the spices through. At this point you can also add the garlic paste (not necessary needed but optional), stir in with the spices. Here on you can also stir in the ginger and chilli paste. Mix it all in so that’s the spices are thoroughly mixed through.
4. Now you can add the 2-3 medium sized chopped tomatoes. Allow this to cook and bubble for 5 minutes with the lid on. Now you can add the spices: 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp tumeric powder, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp salt. Mix this through the spices tomato sauce. And allow it cook so that the spices are infused with the tomatoes for 5-10 minutes.
5. You can add your boiled and cooked Urid lentils including the remaining water and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Prepare the 250g yoghurt mixture in a medium bowl. And whisk yoghurt, till slightly smoother. Add 1 cup water and mix it until it’s thoroughly cooperated.
7. Add the yoghurt mixture to the curry. However very important to keep mixing it with the spoon, until the curry starts to bubble.
8. Once it starts to bubble, lower the heat and garnish the fresh coriander and serve immediately