Indian street food? Yes please! Why go out for street food when you can cook it at home? I am a huge fan of Indian street food, and this is a must try!
Preparation time: 30 minutes | Cook time 1 hour | Serves: 4 persons
Spice level: Medium | Vegan
Ingredients For the Bhaji (curry):
- 3 medium carrots peeled and boiled (250 gr)
- 760 gr potatoes peeled and boiled
- 1 red pepper
- 40 gr fresh coriander finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely chopped/grinded)
- 2 green chillies (to your taste)
- 1 ½ cup frozen or cooked peas
- 1 ½ tbs finely chopped ginger
- 1 – 2 drie chillies
- 3 – 4 whole cloves
- 2 big bay leaves
- 2 – 4 whole peppercorns
- 2 – 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole anisestar
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ garam masala
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ¼ turmeric powder
And for the Pav (bread roll):
- 4-6 bread rolls
- Butter (of your choice)
Method for the Bhaji (Curry)
1. Boil the carrots and potatoes separately. Until cooked through.
2. If potatoes are cooked with the skin, peel the skin off. Mash the carrots and potatoes separately in another large bowl, mix mashed carrot and potato together and keep aside.
3. Put oil in the non-stick pot on medium heat and add 1-2 dry chillies, 3-4 whole cloves, 2 big bay leaves, 2-4 whole pepper corn, 2-3 cinnamon sticks, one whole anisestar, ½ tsp mustard seeds and let cook with the lid on until mustard seed pops.
4. Once the mustard seeds have cooked, you should smell the aroma of the spices, put the pan on a low heat, then add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 ½ tsp ginger and a handful of fresh coriander leaves and allow it to absorb its flavours for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the tomato paste, (I had food processed my chillies with the tomatoes). Mix it in and allow it to cook/bubble on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
6. Add 1 tsp butter in to the pot and 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, 1 tsp kasuri methi, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp salt, ½ garam masala, ½ tsp Paprika powder, and ¼ tsp Turmeric powder. Allow this to simmer for another 5 minutes. Add another handful coriander leaves and ½ lemon juice.
7. Add the mash potato and carrot into the pot and mix it through. Add 1 cup water, to adjust consistency of the curry , then add the paprika/capsicum. Allow it cook for 5 minutes and add the peas and let it cook for 20 minutes on medium – low heat. (For a smoother texture you can mash some more)
For the Pau (bread roll)
1. On medium heat warm a non-stick pan. Slice the centre or middle of the bread roll, and lightly butter the bread roll on both sides and place in the pan and roast on both sides for 2-3 minutes for a golden brown bread roll.